½ cup leeks, chopped
½ cup onion, chopped
½ cup celery, finely chopped
2 medium apples, peeled, cored, finely chopped
7 cups chicken stock, lower sodium
4 cups butternut squash, peeled, diced
2 tablespoons butter, whipped, no added salt
2 tablespoons flour
12 ounces boneless chicken breast, roasted, meat only
1 teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon dried sage
¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1 pinch ground black pepper
½ cup cider
½ cup evaporated skim milk (or use coconut milk)
1. In kettle lightly coated with cooking spray, cook leeks, onion, celery and apples. Cook over moderate heat until soft.
2. Add 7 cups chicken stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Add butternut squash and cook the mixture, adding more water if necessary to keep vegetables covered; cook 15 minutes or until tender.
4. In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter or dairy-free substitute. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour and cook the roux over low heat, stirring for 3 minutes.
5. Whisk ½ cup soup into the roux and add this mixture into the soup.
6. Add chicken and spices.
7. Simmer soup for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Add cider and evaporated skim milk and simmer until heated through.
9. Garnish with chopped parsley and croutons; serve.
Make it a meal: Add 1 serving of Salad Greens with Honey Mustard Dressing, 2 ounces turkey and 1 serving of Crispy Spiced Almond Wontons.