Mediterranean Salad with Feta Vinaigrette
½ cup (about 4 oz.) orzo, uncooked (or quinoa for gluten free option)
4 cups baby spinach, pre-washed, chopped
⅓ cup sun dried tomatoes, packed in oil - drained
3 tablespoons red onion, chopped
2 pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ cup marinated artichoke hearts, w/liquid
½ cup (about 2 oz.)Feta cheese, reduced-fat – crumbled (or non-dairy feta alternative)
Add 4 ounces grilled chicken for each portion
1. Cook orzo or quinoa according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and rinse with cold water.
2. In a large bowl, combine orzo, spinach, tomatoes, onion, olives, and pepper.
3. Drain artichokes, reserving the marinade. Coarsely chop artichokes.
4. Add artichokes, reserved marinade and 1/4 cup feta cheese to orzo mixture, tossing gently to coat.
5. Sprinkle each serving with remaining feta.
Baking powder biscuits:
1 ½ cups GF flour
½ cup Benefiber
2 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
½ tsp salt
¼ cup organic shortening
2/3 cup coconut milk
Directions for Biscuits:
Stir together dry ingredients
Cut in shortening until coarse like cornmeal
Make a well in the center and pour in milk
Stir together lightly with fork
Shape into ball and knead on floured board about 10 times
Cut into 16 biscuits
Bake 450 for about 12 minutes or until golden-brown on bottom
2 2/3 cups frozen berries, thawed
3 tbl cornstarch
¼ cup almond butter
3/4 cup plain coconut or greek yogurt
1 packet stevia
8 tsp mini chocolate chips
Directions for Shortcake:
Stir together berries and cornstarch and heat on medium, stirring til translucent and thickened
In separate bowl, mix almond butter, yogurt and stevia until creamy
Top 2 biscuits with 1/3 cup berries, 2 tbl yogurt mixture and 1 tsp chocolate chips